was welded


Before


After

After all these weeks my crankcase is back and the Husqvarna has all the parts needed to ride for the first time in two months. I spent the day removing four old swingarm needle bearings. This was my first time removing needle bearings and I had only removed traditional caged ball bearings prior to today. The sidewalls are thinner in a needle bearing the the cage is prone to chipping instead of dislodging the cage.

It took a lot of knocks from my hammer and screwdriver to remove all four cages from the swingarm. All of those knocks from the hammer and screwdriver had scored and pitted the swingarm walls. To remove the pits so the new bearings could be installed, I wrapped emery cloth around the largest socket that would fit in the swingarm axle cavity and begin spinning the socket with a T-handle.

The socket's lack of play in the cavity helped give a even sanding. With the cavity clean I put the new bearing straight over the cavity, then I placed a washer over the bearing's cage and a socket on top of the washer and I drove the bearing into the cavity with deliberate hammer blows to the socket.
0