how to survive death

At approximately 6 PM on 5/2/2011, I was traveling northbound on the 110 Freeway (1/2 mile south of the Dodger Stadium exit) in the right side of the far left lane (#1) when Andranik Gabryelov made an unannounced lane change from the second to the first lane one a four lane highway. (For clarity purposes lanes will be numbered 1-4 with the left lane referred to as lane #1 and the second to left lane being referred to as lane #2 and so on.) I was riding with my high beams on 20 miles per hour in second gear so as to be auditory and visually more conspicuous. My left hand was covering the clutch, my right hand covering the front brake and my right foot covering the rear brake. My front tire was just behind the Andranik’s driver side rear tire when he began his unannounced lane change. I was applying both brakes when Andranik's driver side rear tire impacted the right side of my motorcycle’s front tire. My motorcycle fell onto its left side and spun 360-degrees on the asphalt until coming to a halt in lane #1. I impacted the ground at my left knee and left elbow. The car trailing me had stopped, as did Andranik. I turned off the motorcycle’s ignition off and told Andranik to pull over to the side of the road. He did and I picked up the motorcycle and began pushing the motorcycle across three lanes of traffic to the right shoulder. Road conditions were dry and there was nothing on the road that would have reduced available traction and enabled me to have stopped quicker. There was ample daylight at the time of the accident and the sun would not set for another two hours (8PM).

The lack of signaling and the speed with which Andranik accelerated from the slower #2 lane to the #1 lane was the cause of the accident. Had Andranik not changed lanes so abruptly this accident would not have happened. Had Andranik yielded the right of way to oncoming traffic (me) when changing lanes this accident would have not happened. On the shoulder of the 110 Freeway, Andranik stated that he did not strike my motorcycle and that I fell without ever contacting him or his car.

I contacted 911 to see if an officer could make a report on the matter and was told that they would not send an officer and that I should exchange information with Andranik. Although there were witnesses to the accident no drivers stopped. There were no passengers in Andranik's car. No photographs were taken at the scene of the accident. Andranik and I exchanged information for approximately five minutes before parting ways.

Once home, I noted the following damages to my motorcycle and protective clothing: Damage done to the motorcycle includes: breaking the front left turn signal, dented gas tank on the left side where the handlebar was bent into the tank and a broke nipple off of the overflow tube where it attaches below the radiator cap. The kickstand, left exhaust muffler, left bar end weight and the clutch lever suffered abrasion. My motorcycle jacket, pants, gloves and shoes suffered abrasion of various degrees. I sustained general soreness and aches muscles on my lower back, left elbow, left knee, left shoulder. I have yet to seek professional medical attention.

I am a former motorcycle safety instructor with 10-years and over a 100,000-miles of riding experience. I did everything I could to have avoided Andranik but the abruptness and speed of his lane change caused this accident to occur. Had Andranik signaled, I would have beeped my horn, moved over to the left side of the #1 lane and kept riding but Andranik provided no warning prior to his changing lanes. If Andranik didn't hit me as he suggests, then why didn't Andranik complete his lane change? Andranik pulled completely into my lane only to reverse course after we impacted. Why did Andranik stop if I fell without ever contacting his vehicle? The accident that occurred at approximately 6 PM on 5/2/2011 on the 110 Freeway (1/2 mile south of the Dodger Stadium exit) was the direct result of Andranik’s negligence and carelessness.

These are the facts as I saw them and transcribed at 7PM on 5/2/2011.

Comments